Carrying on the legacy of Brad Richardson:
To build on Brad Richardson’s contribution to the OSU, the State of Ohio and the community of Japan-related scholars and professionals, the OSU Institute for Japanese Studies (IJS) has created the Brad Richardson Memorial Fund and seeks to grow it to the endowment level. Brad Richardson was Distinguished University Professor in Political Science, the IJS founding Director, and a former Honorary Consul General of Japan for Ohio. Brad passed away in 2015. The Memorial Fund will be used to propel us vigorously towards the same goals that Brad promoted. Namely, the funds will support academic and outreach activities that promote Japanese Studies on campus and that enhance the interest, knowledge and discourse on Japan-related topics in the academic communities and general public. Until the contributions to the fund reach the endowment level, the fund shall function as a current-use fund.
Lectures supported by the Brad Richardson Memorial Fund:
- 2018 Brad Richardson Memorial Lecture: "Has Abenomics Revived the Japanese Economy? Comparative Macroeconomic Perspectives with the US Economy", Takeo Hoshi, Henri and Tomoye Takahashi Senior Fellow, Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center & Professor of Finance, Stanford Graduate School of Business, Stanford University, February 26, 2018.
- 2017 Brad Richardson Memorial Lecture: "Japan’s Grand Strategy and the US-Japan Alliance", Richard J. Samuels, Ford International Professor of Political Science and Director, Center for International Studies Massachusetts Institute of Technology, February 17, 2017.
- 2016 Brad Richardson Memorial Lecture: “Natural and Unnatural Disasters in the U.S.-Japan Comparative Perspectives: 3/11, 9/11, Asbestos, and the Unmaking of Japan’s Modern World” by Brett Walker, Regents Professor and Malone Memorial Professor of History, Montana State University, and currently Edwin O. Reischauer Visiting Professor of Japanese Studies, Harvard University, March 4, 2016.
- Links to past lectures by Brad Richardson
- Pictures of Brad Richardson
Donations can be made online at Brad Richardson Memorial Fund or by check.
Please make checks payable to "The Ohio State University" and put "Brad Richardson Memorial Fund" in the memo line. Please mail to: The Institute for Japanese Studies, 140 Enarson Classroom Building, 2009 Milliken Rd., Columbus, OH 43210