The East Asian Studies Center (EASC) is now accepting applications for its Summer 2021 and Academic Year 2021-2022 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship Competitions. The deadline for application submission is Monday, February 1, 2021, 4:30 p.m. EST. Please read below for specific information on the Summer 2021 and Academic Year 2021-2022 Competitions.
- Applications and supporting materials will be submitted online through Qualtrics.
- Before beginning an application, students should consult the relevant information sheet for specific information on eligibility requirements and application instructions for their particular competition.
- A PDF version of the application is available for preview and planning purposes only. Applicants must complete the application itself through Qualtrics.
- Before completing the online application form, students should have all the necessary information on hand and additional documents ready for uploading into the application. The online form should take approximately 30 minutes to complete and should be completed at one time.
A complete application includes the following:
- The completed Online Application Form.
- An up‐to‐date OSU Advising Report of all courses taken and grades received, and Official Transcripts from any other previous graduate work and undergraduate work (attached in your online application).
- A one‐page single‐spaced Statement of Intent (attached in your online application).
- A Resume or CV (two pages maximum; attached in your online application).
- A Budget Estimate section in your online application, with relevant supporting materials attached (this requirement is waived for individuals applying to study at OSU).
- Three Letters of Reference from faculty members familiar with the student's work, including language capability. Applicants fill out the Student Section of the FLAS Recommendation Form and provide it to their referees. Referees complete and submit via email to email@example.com by Monday, February 1, 2021.
- Applicants must also separately submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to OSU's Office of Student Financial Aid by their priority deadline of Monday, February 1, 2021 in order to be considered for a FLAS Fellowship. The FAFSA can be accessed at http://sfa.osu.edu.
For Further Information
Applicants are strongly encouraged to attend one of the following information sessions which will take place via Zoom. Registration is required.
- Thursday, November 5, 2020, 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. REGISTER
- Monday, November 9, 2020, 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. REGISTER
- Thursday, November 12, 2020, 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. REGISTER
- Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. REGISTER
- Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. REGISTER
- Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. REGISTER
- Monday, December 7, 2020, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. REGISTER
- Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. REGISTER
Announcement of Competition Results
EASC will announce the results of the Summer 2021 and Academic Year 2021-2022 competitions for both undergraduate and graduate/professional students in mid-March 2021.
Please contact Amy Carey, EASC senior assistant director, with any questions about the fellowship or application process, at firstname.lastname@example.org.