Professor Emeritus, Economics
410 Arps Hall
1945 N High Street
Areas of Expertise
- Labor economics
- Japanese economy
- Ph.D., Columbia University, 1971 (W. S. Woytinsky Scholar, President's Fellow)
- B.A., Columbia University, 1965 (Cum Laude, Omicron Delta Epsilon)
- Professor of Economics and Member of the Institute for Japanese Studies, The Ohio State University, 1987-now
- Professor of Economics and Adjunct Professor of East Asian Languages and Cultures, Indiana University, Bloomington, 1985-87.
- National Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University, 1983- 84.
- Assistant Professor and Associate Professor of Economics, University of Washington, 1973-85.
- Assistant Professor of Economics, Wayne State University, 1971-73.
- Research Analyst, National Bureau of Economic Research,1969-71.
- Associate Editor, Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, 1990-now
- Board of Editors, Atlantic Economic Journal, 1990-1993
- Board of Editors, Journal of Economic Development, 1983-now
- Editorial Advisory Committee, Labor Economics Program, Wayne State University Press, 1987-now
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research, 1971-75
- "A Theory of the Employment Relations System in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, 9 (March, 1995): 75-95."
- "Aspects of Labor Market Adjustments in Japan," Journal of Labor Economics, 11 (January 1993): 136-161.
- "The Minimum Wage Law and Youth Crimes: Time Series Evidence," Journal of Law and Economics, 30, No. 2 (October 1987): 443-464.
- "Employment Tenure and Earnings Profiles in Japan and the U.S.," (with John Raisian) American Economic Review 75, No. 4 (September 1985): 721-735.
- "Minimum Wage Effects on Training on the Job," American Economic Review 72, No. 5 (December 1982): 1070-1087.
- "Specific Human Capital as a Shared Investment," American Economic Review 71, No. 3 (June 1981): 476-482.
- "Specific Capital, Employment Contracts, and Wage Rigidity," (with Ben T. Yu) The Bell Journal of Economics, 11, No. 2 (Autumn 1980): 536-549.
- "Bonus Payments, On-The-Job Training and Lifetime Employment in Japan," Journal of Political Economy, 87, No. 5 (October 1979): 1086-1104.
- "Economics of Postwar Fertility in Japan," Journal of Political Economy, 82, No. 2(2) (March/April 1974): S170-S194.
Books and Monographs
- The Japanese Labor Market in a Comparative Perspective with the United States. Kalamazoo: W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, December 1990.
- Minimum Wage and On-The Job Training. Washington, D.C.: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, 1981.
- "Evaluating Teaching in Higher Education [pdf]," (with Bruce Weinberg and Belton Fleisher).
- "Issues Facing the Japanese Labor Market [pdf]," (with Yoshio Higuchi), Figures and Tables [pdf].
- "The Long and Short of it: Maternity Leave Coverage and Women’s Labor Market Outcomes [pdf]," (with Rick Percy, Teresa Schoellner, Bruce Weinberg).
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.