Where can I find information about Japanese classes offered at The Ohio State University?

Japanese language courses at The Ohio State University are offered through the The Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures (DEALL). Phone: 614 292-5816.

I 'd like to study in Japan through an OSU study abroad program. Who should I contact?

Ohio State University study abroad programs are managed by the Office of International Affairs (OIA). You can contact OIA at 614 292-6101.

Are evening Japanese classes offered anywhere in Central Ohio?

The Office of Continuing Education at the Ohio State University offers non-credit Evening Conversational Japanese Courses. For information, call 614 292-8571.

I need to have something translated into Japanese (or from Japanese into English). Who should I contact?

IJS does not currently offer translation or interpretation services. However, the The Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures (DEALL) at Ohio State may be able to provide advice or assistance in locating these services. DEALL: 614 292-5816.

I am interested in working at IJS. Are there any vacant positions?

When a staff position is available at IJS, it is posted on the OSU Career Site. Please follow the application procedures posted on that website. IJS does not accept applications directly. If you are an OSU student looking for a student employment, please contact Janet Stucky at the Institute for Japanese Studies to see if there is an opening.

I am an employer looking to hire someone who speaks Japanese. Can IJS help me?

IJS maintains several email groups for students, alumni, and those interested in Japan-related employment opportunities. IJS in cooperation with the Japan-America Society of Central Ohio maintains a job bank.  Postings are free for JASCO members and offered to others for a fee.  Please contact JASCO for more information.  Those interested in the position will contact you directly.

I'd like to donate Japan-related books to The Ohio State University. Who should I contact?

IJS does not currently accept direct donations of books, journals, or other printed matter. We simply do not have space for them in our office. If you would like to donate Japan-related materials, please contact Maureen Donovan at the OSU Libraries Japanese Collection.

I am a teacher who would like information about Japan to pass on to my students. Does IJS have information available?

Yes. IJS can provide information to assist K-16 educators on Japan-related topics. Please contact Janet Stucky at stucky.7@osu.edu for information. Phone: 614 292-3345.

I am planning a trip to Japan and would like some advice. Who should I contact?

IJS does not advise travelers to Japan. Please consult the Japan National Tourist Organization in New York: 212 757-5640.

Do I need a visa to live in Japan?

For all visa-related matters, please contact the Consulate General of Japan in Detroit at 313 567-0120.

I am planning to visit Columbus. Could you recommend some places near campus to stay?

The Blackwell Hotel and Conference Center

Conveniently located on the grounds of the Fisher College of Business at the Ohio State University, The Blackwell features the very best in guest service and comfort, and the highest levels of technology and resources. For reservations and information, call 614 247-4000.

The Holiday Inn on Lane

The Holiday Inn on Lane is approximately a 10 minute walk from the center of OSU campus. Reservations: 614 294-4848

The University Plaza Hotel and Conference Center

The University Plaza is located on Olentangy River Road, approximately 1.5 miles from OSU campus. Shuttle service to campus is available. Reservations: 614 267-7461

Fairfield Inn & Suites Columbus OSU

Located on Olentangy River Road, near the University Plaza Hotel. Reservations: 614 267-0904